Maybe you even know that they're playing Pokémon Go, a game so popular it crashed servers three days into launch delaying an international rollout.
Maybe you're looking at all these people walking around your store and thinking, "How can I get them to look at my business"?
First thing first. Do your research and find out what your business value is inside the game. Is your business located near a PokéStop, Gym, or just full of Pokémon? Awesome! You're off to a good start.
It also appears that gyms (and Pokéstops) appear at popular locations based on Google's version of "checkins".
Here are some real-life things you can do to take advantage of this newly created world of "pocket monsters"
- Print real life versions of the stylized PokéStop or Battle Gym icons and place them outside your business along with fliers, coupons, or business cards.
- Advertise what kinds of Pokémon can be found inside.
- No PokéStops, Gyms or even Pokémon nearby? Maybe thirsty Pokémon collectors would appreciate a cold beverage, hot coffee, or delicious pizza? After all, the game makes you walk, a lot.
- Brand all images or displays with your logo. You never know who might snap a pic for their friends on social media.
- Restaurant or other retail business? Post your own screenshots of Pokémon hanging out but take the time to "stage" the shot so you highlight what you're serving (maybe there's a Pikachu hanging at the bar)?
- Reward users who post images of your business and hashtag with (or without) Pokémon to social media with coupons, VIP passes, or other insider access.
- One caveat, consider consulting your legal council before you include anything proprietary, you may receive a cease and desist from Nintendo or Google.